There’s no place like home for the holidays
A warm fire. Glowing strands of light. Sparkling conversation. A cup of good cheer in your hand.
Holiday entertaining in Las Cruces is a wonderful way to connect with old and new friends. Whether you’re planning a casual gathering or an elegant party, Las Cruces has some dazzling options to help make it a success.
Though there are many wonderful choices, we put together a little nosh plate with some of the top catering options, award winning New Mexico wines, and decorating experts that make entertaining in Las Cruces a breeze.
Holiday entertaining in Las Cruces
Here are a few of our favorite Las Cruces catering options:
- Dickerson Catering: Looking for gourmet fare with some Mesilla Valley flair? Serving a diverse range of flavors from tantalizing hors d’oeuvres to Mexican platters and Italian feasts, Dickerson is always a favorite in Las Cruces, with a reputation for great catering service and amazing food.
- Le Rendez-vous Cafe: There’s no need to slave over a hot stove all day to serve your guests fine French cuisine. Let French pastry chef Thierry Marceaux deliver his culinary masterpieces to your home. The cafe is famous for its beef bourguignon, coq au vin, rainbows of to-die-for macaroons, and festive Buches de Noel.
- Andele: Arguably (though few would argue!) the home of the best green enchiladas in the world, Andele also boasts a robust catering menu that is perfect for a casual gathering.
New Mexico Wines
Though they’re gaining international attention for their character and quality, New Mexican wines actually have a fascinating history.
Très similar to the wine growing conditions of some of the famous vintage regions of France, New Mexican vineyards have been providing wine since more than 200 years before the region became a state.
Monks began growing grapes in the Rio Grande valley for the sacrament of Holy Communion back in the 1600s. In the late 1800s and early 1900s floods destroyed many vineyards, and what the floods left Prohibition soon stomped out.
Though the old commercial wine industry was essentially dead by the early 20th century, winegrowers began planting French-hybrid varietals in the 1970s. With fresh governmental support and our spectacular climate, wine was soon flowing again. We currently have more than 60 wineries!
Here are a few favorite New Mexico wines to pour at your next holiday party:
- St. Clair Winery: This winery masterfully blends six generations of French winemaking with unique local flavors. Try their Hatch Green or Red Chile Wine and Plum Loco for a unique touch, or stick to more traditional favorites like their award winning Riesling and Cabernet Sauvignon. You can find St. Clair at just about any place that sells alcohol in Las Cruces.
- Luna Rossa Winery: Italian vintners Paolo and Sylvia D’Andrea deliver remarkable and award winning Shiraz and Tempranillo wines. You’ll find Luna Rossa wines at a few locations, but Toucan Market has a nice selection.
- Corrales Winery: Corrales wines are available exclusively in their tasting room in Corrales (in northern New Mexico), but they’re worth the scenic day-trip. Corrales’s Muscat Canelli is a perfectly sweet balance of stone-fruit, pear, and honey — a must-have dessert accompaniment for your special evening.
Don’t have time to pull out the ladder and hang Christmas lights? Or maybe you feel like you need a special touch to make your home really shine at your upcoming holiday party.
Whatever the case, Sherry Franzoy of Decorating Den Interiors will make sure your event has people talking well into the new year!
Sherry can work with your current decor ensemble, or work with your budget to find you some stunning new pieces. “As a designer I know how to maximize Christmas decorations to get the ‘wow!’ effect,” says Sherry. She’ll even hang up your outdoor Christmas lights, or trim the tree to a tee.
Holiday entertaining in Las Cruces is exciting and easy. We hope your next party is full of good food, good friends, and warm memories.
Wishing you and yours a wonderful holiday season,
Bob & Karen Pofahl at Picacho Mountain
Contact us today at 575.523.2500 for more information about the joys of entertaining in Las Cruces!