There is more great news from the Spaceport America this month. As I have mentioned in previous posts, the Spaceport America project is an exciting opportunity for New Mexico to remain on the cutting edge of technology development and scientific research. It is also a great way to stimulate our local Las Cruces, and greater New Mexico economies. At Picacho Mountain we are excited about the new opportunities the Spaceport America will bring to our existing residents, as well as the new residents that the Spaceport will bring to our community!
Here are a few highlights from Spaceport America’s May 2010 newsletter. You can also click here to view the full newsletter:
- Rick Homans Returns as Chairman of Spaceport Authority – Governor Bill Richardson has named Rick Homans to serve as Chairman of the New Mexico Spaceport Authority. Homans will serve as the designee of Economic Development Secretary Fred Mondragon. Read More
Spaceport Construction Generating Positive Economic Activity in New Mexico – Most of the infrastructure is expected to be complete by year’s end, including the runway, which should be finished by August 2010. These construction contracts have created more than 600 direct construction jobs with an estimated additional 1,200 indirect jobs. Spaceport America is delivering on the promise of economic growth in the State of New Mexico. Read More
- Spaceport Construction Puts New Mexicans to Work – Spaceport America construction contracts have been awarded, and hundreds of jobs are being created in the state. New Mexico contractors and workers are getting the job done! Read More
- Space Flight Informed Consent – On February 27, 2010, New Mexico Governor Bill Richardson signed the Space Flight Informed Consent Act into law. This public policy keeps New Mexico’s commercial spaceflight operations competitive with other states such as Virginia and Florida. Read More
- Second Annual Education Launch a Success – As part of New Mexico Space Grant Consortium’s mission to promote space programs and education to New Mexico students and educators, the second annual New Mexico Education Launch took place on Tuesday, May 4, from Spaceport America. Read More
- Lockheed Martin helps with Mission Assurance Test at Spaceport – As part of the mission assurance activities, UP Aerospace successfully conducted a full-scale recovery system drop-test at Spaceport America on April 14, 2010. Read More
- Spaceport America Dedicates New Las Cruces Offices – Read More
- Spaceport America Gets International Media Attention – A major story on Spaceport America ran February 21st in the “New York Times” titled “A New Exit to Space Readies for Business.” Manufacturing trade publication “Industry Today” featured Spaceport America in a recent story titled “The Outer Limits–Spaceport America in New Mexico Makes History by Challenging Traditional Paradigms for Spaceflight. Read More
- Virgin Galactic’s SpaceShipTwo and WhiteKnightTwo Make First Flight – On March 22, Virgin Galactic and Scaled Composites took to the skies for the first time with the mated-pair space launch system, flying with SpaceShipTwo suspended beneath the wing of WhiteKnightTwo. Read More
Contact us today at 575-523-2500 to find out why Spaceport America makes Picacho Mountain an even better place to relocate, retire, or build your next custom home! Custom Homes, Patio Homes, Town Homes, Neighborhood Retail, and more!